A Rich Tradition of Excellence and Innovation
Good Steel Service, the
forerunner of Good Metals, Company, was established in 1947. From its
original location at 1010 Leonard Street in Wyoming, Michigan, Good
Steel Service processed and sold steel used to manufacture machine
tools, dies and fixtures. The company earned a solid reputation
within the tool and die industry for quality, reliability and customer
satisfaction. Good Steel also distinguished itself as one of the
first steel distributors to produce tool steel, alloy and carbon
bars saw cut from plate.
Over the years, Good
Steel continually expanded its plate sawing and bar manufacturing
capabilities. To accommodate the steadily growing business, the
company relocated twice, eventually occupying a 70,000-square-foot facility
at 440 32nd Street S.W. in Wyoming, Good Metals' current location.
Many changes in the form
of mergers and acquisitions took place over the next three decades,
beginning in 1969, when Good Steel became part of Allegheny Ludlum
Steel Corp. In 1993, Rockford, Illinois-based Liebovich Steel &
Aluminum Co. acquired the Wyoming operation and renamed it Good
Metals, Co., a clear reference to the company's Good Steel Service
roots. The holding company Liebovich Bros., Inc. invested extensively
to improve Good Metals' facility and production capabilities, resulting
in tremendous growth from 1994 through 1998.
In March 1999, Liebovich
Bros. and Good Metals were purchased by Reliance Steel & Aluminum
Co., one of the nation's largest metals service center companies.